I love a good bowl of chili in the winter…but I don’t love all the grease and calories. This recipe for Easy and Healthy Taco Chili maximizes the flavor of chili with a taco twist while minimizing the calories. It also makes cooking chili as easy as 1, 2, 3!!!
Weight Watchers Smart Points = 10
Frequently Asked Questions
WHY BISON? Bison is leaner, lower in saturated fat, and has 25% less calories than ground beef. This makes it a great red meat choice if you are trying to cut calories.
MEAL PREP TIP: During your Sunday meal prep, you can brown the meat in the skillet, drain off the drippings, and store in an airtight container or plastic bag. Then just drain the black beans and corn, and add to the plastic bag with the low sodium taco seasoning. When ready to cook, just dump the contents into skillet and warm it up…dinner is that easy when you meal prep. You can do this up to five days in advance. But you might want to double the recipe so that you have enough for leftovers for lunch!
What should I serve with Easy and Healthy Taco Chili? Healthy and Easy Taco Chili is a one pot meal – no need for sides! But you can use any number of toppings for this chili: shredded cheese, low fat sour cream, onions, guacamole, etc.
What do I do with leftover Easy and Healthy Taco Chili? You can safely store your leftovers in the refrigerator for up to five day. And like I said before, you can have leftovers for lunch if you make a double batch of Healthy and Easy Taco Chili!
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
First, coat a stock pot with cooking spray. Brown the ground bison or lean ground beef.
Next, add the rinsed and drained black beans, corn, and fire-roasted tomatoes. (No tomatoes in the picture below – I am allergic!)
Then, sprinkle the mixture with the package of taco seasoning. Give the pot a good stir.
Finally, add a can of tomato sauce and stir. Simmer until heated through and the flavors combine – approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Smoky Chipotle Black Bean Soup
- Healthy One Pan Taco Tuesday
- Winter White Bean Soup
- Time-Saving Red Beans and Rice
- Key West Black Beans and Rice
Don’t forget to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Healthy and Easy Taco Chili delivered right to your inbox!
Did you try this recipe?
Tag me on Instagram at @WoWzerKitchen and use the hashtag #WoWzerKitchen!!!
Easy and Healthy Taco Chili
- 1 lb ground bison (substitute lean ground beef)
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn kernels rinsed and drained
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes optional
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 package taco seasoning
- cooking spray
- Heat a large stock pot over medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Brown the ground bison (or lean ground beef) in the stock pot. Drain off the drippings.
- Add the corn, black beans, and tomatoes (optional). Then add the taco seasoning and stir.
- Finally, add the tomato sauce and stir. Simmer until heated through, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite chili toppings.