I’m just going to go ahead and brag. This One Pan Cheeseburger Casserole is every bit as good as this photo looks. And so easy! Who doesn’t love a one dish meal?! I cooked this in one skillet and then transferred it to the oven, leaving only one pot to clean. But if you don’t have a skillet that goes in the oven you can always transfer it to a casserole dish and then move it to the oven. At any rate, this was definitely a kid pleaser and family pleaser…and low carb too!
WHY BISON? Bison is leaner, lower in saturated fat, and has 25% less calories than ground beef. This makes it a great red meat choice if you are trying to cut calories.
WW Smart Points = 10
MEAL PREP TIP: On your weekly meal prep day, brown the bison and onions, then add the Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and mustard. Store in an airtight container until you are ready to bake the casserole. Then all you have to do is transfer to meat mixture to a pan, then add egg whites and cheese.
What should I serve with this dish? This One Pan Cheeseburger Casserole needs no sides and is perfect as a stand alone meal. But greens are always good, so feel free to serve with a side salad of your choice…this will tide you over while the casserole bakes in the oven.
What do I do with leftovers? You can safely store your leftover One Pan Cheeseburger Casserole in the refrigerator for up to five day. But make sure to cook some extra so you have healthy leftovers for lunch!
Is this recipe low carb? YES! One Pan Cheeseburger Casserole only has 3 grams of carbs…well below the recommended 20-50 gram limit for the low carb diet!
Is this recipe Keto Diet friendly? YES, One Pan Cheeseburger Casserole is Keto Diet friendly! However, the Keto diet prohibits condiments so you may want to substitute the ketchup for tomato sauce or use REAL tomatoes!
Now Let’s Get COOKIN’!
First, heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Heat a teaspoon of olive oil and add the onions. Sauté until fragrant – approximately 2 minutes.
Add 1.5 pounds of ground bison to the skillet and brown.
Strain off the juices / fat in a colander.
Add Worchestershire sauce, ketchup, and mustard. Stir to combine.
Pour the egg whites over the meat and top with low fat cheddar cheese.
Cook in the oven at 350F for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
Tried this Recipe?! Post a photo and tag us on Instagram!
One Pan Cheeseburger Casserole (Low Carb / Keto)
- 1.5 lb ground bison
- 1/2 cup onions diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ketchup (substitute tomato sauce to make Keto-friendly)
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1 cup low fat cheddar cheese
- 6 egg whites
- Heat a skillet to medium high heat. Add the olive oil and onions. Sauté until the onions are fragrant – approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the ground bison to the skillet and brown.
- Strain off the juices / fat in a colander. Return the meat and onions to the skillet.
- Once the bison is brown, add the Worchestershire sauce, ketchip, and mustard. Stire to combine.
- If not using an oven-proof skillet, transfer to an 8 x8 casserole dish. Pour the egg whites over the meat and top with cheese.
- Bake (either in the skillet or in a casserole dish) at 350F for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted and slightly brown.