Most weeknights, I need an EASY BUTTON when it comes to dinner. I’ve worked all day and don’t want to work EVEN MORE in the kitchen. But I still want a hardy, savory meal that is also healthy for more family. This Time-Saving Red Beans and Rice is just the Easy Button I need for Meat-Free Monday!
MEAL PREP TIPS: Chop the celery, onion, garlic, and bell pepper then store in an airtight container or plastic bag until ready to cook.
- 1 can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups rice, cooked (I like Uncle Bean’s Ready Rice – two packages)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 celery stalk, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning, salt-free
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup green onions (for garnish)
- 2 cups of spinach, chopped (substitute collard greens or chard)
- Hot sauce (optional)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
- Sauce the onion, celery, pepper, and garlic until tender.
- Stir in the vegetable stock, red beans, onion powder, cajun seasoning, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve 1/2 cup of bean mixture over 1/2 cup of rice and 1/2 cup of chopped spinach. Top with hot sauce (optional).
Makes 4 Servings.