Let’s Connect on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
During a recent hospitalization, the cardiologist talked to us about consider a plant-based diet to combat conditions heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes. While it wasn’t a viable option at the time, his comments got me thinking that we could incorporate more plant-based meals without completely eliminating meat from our diets. Now we celebrate MEAT-FREE MONDAY on a weekly basis, and I try to eat a meat-free meal for lunch on a daily basis. While this soup isn’t totally meatless (the bacon adds flavor), this Smoky Chipotle Black Bean Soup is an easy and savory option for those meat-free Monday meals!
MEAL PREP SUNDAY: If you are prepping your weekly meals on Sunday, you can do the following and store in plastic bags until you are ready to cook:
- Dice the chipotles and carrots then store in an airtight container.
- Chop the spinach and store in an airtight container.
- 3 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning (Salt Free)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 canned chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 teaspoons lime juice, divided
- 4 cups of spinach, chopped
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Drain and rinse all beans in a colander.
- In a blender, combine one can of beans with one cup of water. Pulse until blended.
- In a Dutch oven or stock pot, coat with olive oil cooking spray over medium heat. Sauté carrots for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, beans, liquid smoke, Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning, and chipotle chilis. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and stir until the spinach is wilted.
- Spoon into bowls and top each bowl with 1 teaspoon of lime juice and cilantro for garnish.